General Summary of Position
This is a scientist position in the clinical laboratory with responsibility for performing procedures in assigned departments. This person is also responsible for the analysis of laboratory specimens and subsequent result reporting according to laboratory protocol and procedures federal, state and regulatory rules and regulations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Technical Skills and Problem Solving: Performs accurate and appropriate testing of specimens received in the laboratory, according to established laboratory protocol and procedures. Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and analysis. Evaluates specimens for suitability for testing and resolves problems related to specimen collection. Performs testing, records results of tests and ensures that results are accurate.
- Reports results for stats, abnormal results, critical values, and other categories of special requests as defined by laboratory policy. Proficient in instrument operation and basic troubleshooting for each section of the laboratory where orientation and training has been completed. Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and Hospital Information System (HIS) as indicated.
- Evaluates laboratory results and correlates data to recognize disease states. Monitors test results for reasonableness. Differentiates and resolves technical, instrument, and physiologic causes of problems or unexpected test results Exercises initiative and independent judgment in dealing with a broad scope of procedural and technical problems. Takes corrective action when indicated according to P & P's.
- Notifies supervisor of discrepancies or unexpected results when indicated. Is able to communicate effectively with physicians regarding specific test results. Able to prioritize and organize workload so that results are reported within established turn-around times. Participates with development of new tests and procedures.
Quality Assurance and Maintenance: Performs all quality assurance and instrument maintenance check procedures and maintains related records according to established policies/procedures. Performs, verifies accuracy of results, and records both QC function checks and quality control testing within the specified time frame. Assists with maintenance of quality control records. Recognizes instrument malfunction, halts patient testing/resulting immediately, and with aid of operators manual or hotline, attempts to resolve problem.
- Records corrective action taken. Performs daily and scheduled maintenance and function checks on instruments/equipment and documents action performed. Performs calibration and linearity checks according to established procedures. Completes assigned proficiency testing and annual departmental competencies within specified time frame. Assists with performance improvement initiatives when indicated.
Development: Maintains current knowledge and certification. Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to address these education needs. Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the department. Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (License, PPD, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between departments. Maintains awareness of changes in procedures or protocols. Attends department meetings as required or reads/initials meeting minutes within the specified time frame if not in attendance. Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the unit. Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees, communicating unit knowledge as appropriate. Provides department/unit with information and knowledge acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and committees.
Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties. Greets all patients and visitors to the Laboratory in a prompt and professional manner, displaying good customer service skills. Assists with telephone responsibilities when necessary. Provides nursing personnel and physician offices with verbal test results and pathology reports, referring any problems directly to the appropriate person or supervisor.
- Assists with on-going inventory control of testing supplies in each laboratory area, rotating stock so that older stock items are used first. Assists with the instruction of laboratory personnel in theory, technical skills, safety protocols, and application of laboratory test procedures. Cleans and sanitizes work areas at the beginning of each shift.
Associate's degree as a Medical Scientist required or
Bachelor's degree as a Medical Scientist required
New Grad required and
1-2 years 1 year of experience in clinical lab preferred
Licenses and Certifications
ASCP - Medical Technologist ASCP (MT or MLT) Registry required or
eligible (or equivalent certification) required and
American Medical Technologists - AMT CLS or AMT acceptable required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
Moderate Computer skills to perform Data entry and specimen verification.
Software: Computerized laboratory information systems, Clinicians View
HIPAA policies on Confidentiality
Why MedStar Health?
At MedStar Health, we understand that our ability to treat others well begins with how we treat each other. We work hard to foster an inclusive and positive environment where our associates feel valued, connected, and empowered. We live up to this promise through:
- Strong emphasis on teamwork—our associates feel connected to each other and our mission as an organization. In return, our effective team environment generates positive patient outcomes and high associate satisfaction ratings that exceed the national benchmark.
- Strategic focus on equity, inclusion, & diversity—we are committed to equity for all people and communities. We continue to build a diverse and inclusive workplace where people feel a sense of belonging and the ability to contribute to equitable care delivery and improved community health outcomes at all levels of the organization.
- Comprehensive total rewards package—including competitive pay, generous paid time off, great health and wellness benefits, retirement savings, education assistance, and so much more.
- More career opportunities closer to home—as the largest healthcare provider in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. region, there are countless opportunities to grow your career and fulfill your aspirations.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation, and research. Our team of 32,000 includes physicians, nurses, residents, fellows, and many other clinical and non-clinical associates working in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest home health provider in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar Health is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education, professional development, and personal fulfillment of our whole team. Together, we use the best of our minds and the best of our hearts to serve our patients, those who care for them, and our communities. It’s how we treat people.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations. MedStar Health makes all decisions regarding employment, including for example, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefit eligibility, discipline, and discharge without regard to any protected status, including race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliations, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local EO laws. If you receive an offer of employment, it is MedStar Health's policy to hire its employees on an at-will basis, which means you or MedStar Health may terminate this relationship at any time, for any reason.