We’re Building the Future! Ever want to do hard work that will make a REAL difference in the world? Do you want to solve some of the most difficult problems with a team of exceptional players at a company that does not believe in impossible?
Powin Energy is a leading producer of utility scale modular battery energy storage system (complete with a patented, advanced, cloud-based monitoring/control system). That means we build power plants out of batteries that put coal and gas generators out of business and enable sustainable viability for renewable energy sources like solar and wind.
Powin is, and will continue to be, one of a handful of companies that will provide the equipment necessary to make this happen. Powin has distinct competitive advantages: cost-effectiveness; reliability; scalability; deploy-ability; and operational sophistication. Every day we work to ensure that we maintain these competitive advantages and our position as a global leader in providing turnkey, battery energy storage solutions for utility-scale, commercial and industrial, and microgrid applications.
The Deputy General Counsel (Commercial) (“Deputy GC”) provides leadership, strategy and legal advice on a variety of matters for the business including sales, commercial agreements, risk mitigation and dispute resolution. The Deputy GC is the primary partner for internal stakeholders across the multiple business units and functional groups responsible the revenue generating commercial arm of the business. The Deputy GC is responsible for implementing legal processes that increase effective communication and collaboration throughout the commercial contracting lifecycle.
- Develop and implement the strategy to support commercial operations legal needs
- Develop and maintain updated and effective commercial agreements for the sale of Powin’s products and services
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Draft, review, advise, and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including but not limited to, customer supply agreements, service agreements, licensing agreements, escrow, and other agreements
- Provide general legal counsel and advice to commercial and operational stakeholders, necessary to effectively consummate commercial transactions
- Be a thought leader with regards to product strategy, regulatory matters, and general business affairs (ethics, compliance, public relations)
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness of commercial contracting processes
- Identify legal and business risks, develop mitigation strategies and effectively communicate to and collaborate with stakeholders with regards to opportunities and resolutions
- Work closely with Sales, Engineering, Commercial Contracting, Finance, Manufacturing, Project Success and Global Services, to align strategy and contractual framework
- Protect and enhance intellectual property assets of the company
- Procure and manage internal and external legal resources and other experts
- Other duties as assigned periodically by the General Counsel
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school required and an active bar license for at least one state
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ of relevant legal experience including in private practice or inhouse in one or more of the following: commercial contracting, mergers & acquisitions, and/or litigation
- Excellent legal drafting skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience negotiating commercial contracts and other experience demonstrating an ability to manage and close commercial and legal negotiations
- Ability to analyze complex business and legal issues/risks in order to advance practical solutions
- Ability to distill complex legal concepts into simple, actionable recommendations
- Ability to function with a high degree of integrity and professionalism
- Ability to manage, prioritize and execute multiple tasks without sacrificing attention to detail
- Ability and willingness to be curious and learn new things quickly
- Ability to manage, partner and collaborate with outside counsel and other advisors
- Ability to self start and operate autonomously
- Aptitude for innovative and creative problem-solving, along with practical business judgment
- Ability to maximize revenues and minimize risk
- Ability to travel periodically, both domestic and internationally
Powin is not accepting resumes from unsolicited headhunters or agencies at this time
EEO STATEMENT: The Company is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices and laws. The Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants without unlawful regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identification or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, religion or creed, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, protected veteran status, disability (mental or physical), or any other legally protected status under federal, state, or local law.
E-Verify: Powin participates in E-Verify and candidates will need to pass successfully upon completion of hire date