ABOUT DC CENTRAL KITCHEN:
DC Central Kitchen (DCCK) is an iconic nonprofit and social enterprise that combats hunger and poverty through job training and job creation. Our approach provides hands-on culinary job training while creating living-wage jobs and bringing nutritious, dignified food where it is most needed in our city. We serve scratch-cooked, farm-to-school meals in DC schools; deliver fresh, affordable produce to corner stores in neighborhoods without supermarkets; provide delicious catering; and operate cafes. Above all else, we are committed to creating a more just, equitable, and inclusive community, both outside our doors and right here on our team. We strive to offer a safe environment to learn, discover, and develop individual strengths, and pursue meaningful career pathways. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we recognize and work to address the lasting effects of historic injustices and systemic racism, and we strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ people, returning citizens, and people who have experienced poverty or homelessness to apply to join our team.
The Workforce Development department at DC Central Kitchen includes the Culinary Job Training program (CJT), which is a 14-week culinary arts program with an integrated curriculum that covers all facets of work in a professional kitchen. The program includes “hands-on” training taught by Culinary Arts Instructors. Our Mission is to offer training as a constructive solution to the problems of unemployment in our community. We use food as a tool to build community partnerships that support people who are making the transition to self-sufficiency. As healthy, affordable, and sustainable food is central to our mission, we expose our students to healthy cooking techniques and provide nutritional education, through the program.
The Workforce Development Specialist (Recruitment and Case Management) position is primarily responsible for the recruitment and intake efforts for the Workforce Development Department and for assisting students at every step of their journey through the program, from recruitment to orientation to graduation. This role is also responsible for providing comprehensive case management services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Admit new students during orientation by reviewing records and assisting with application to program.
· Provide comprehensive case management services by assessing student and family needs, developing a treatment plan if necessary, coordinating services and resources, and referring when needed.
· Conduct initial and ongoing home visits as needed.
· Manage caseload by verifying students' attendance, observing, and evaluating interventions and responses, advocating for needed services and entitlements, obtaining additional resources, intervening in crises.
· Maintain students' records by reviewing case notes, logging events and progress.
· Communicate students’ progress by conducting weekly meetings and evaluations, disseminating results and obstacles to Supervisor.
· Prepare students for final phase by reviewing and amplify internship plans and referring to community partners for ongoing care, if needed.
· Maintain confidentiality of information at all times.
· Liaise and partner with local organizations, agencies, and institutions for the purpose of recruiting students into the program and promoting enhanced communication between CJT and the community.
· Lead CJT expansion through cultivating new relationships and partnerships.
· Travel for site visits to agencies, shelters, and other organizations; meet with interested parties, present the program, and develop relationships for moving the process forward.
· Report activities, milestones, statistics, and strategic accomplishments as required.
· Assist in the development and cultivation of new internship sites and bolster current relationships through outreach and targeted research.
· Foster, endorse, and expand apprenticeship, internship, mentorship, and training programs by targeting new community partners.
· Use networking and outreach skills to recruit, solicit, procure, and acquire industry professionals for special projects, activities, events, ongoing training, and endeavors.
· Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
· Prepare, organize, and maintain student information according to established policies and procedures.
· Define communication and recruitment priorities for partners and convey those priorities to the CJT team.
· Use research and technological tools to develop objectives and strategies, establish long-range objectives and specify the strategies and actions to achieve them.
· Participate in the preparation of new student orientation, report, and maintain records such as student grades, attendance rolls, and training activity details.
· Participate in conferences, seminars, and training sessions to keep abreast of developments in the field and integrate relevant information into training programs.
· Knowledgeable of efficient and effective workforce development or nonprofit program management methods and processes
· Bachelors’ degree in a relevant field and at least 2 – 4 years of experience in case management, recruiting, market research, and/or sales, job development, or a related field OR equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
· Experience engaging, supporting, and enhancing the lives of returning citizens, individuals in recovery, those impacted by homelessness, and people who are or have been unemployed or underemployed
· Demonstrated cultural competence and a commitment to the mission and values of DC Central Kitchen
· Desire to be part of a direct service nonprofit organization and specifically advance the unique mission of DCCK
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport, work effectively with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds, and interface with all levels of an organization
· Communicates in a timely manner with others upon the discovery of potential problems or change.
· Consistently fosters collaboration and respect among team members
· Provides courteous, timely and professional service even in difficult situations.
· Develop and maintains strong relationships with internal and external partners
· Gathers data to support recommendations and seeks approval before taking action to minimize potential risk
· Keeps the organization and department goals in mind while focusing on specific issues
· Defines and tracks own activity within a project and milestones to manage the delivery of individual work.
· Excellent public speaking skills and audience awareness
· Ability to work independently and hold oneself accountable for performance
· Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office Applications, various data management software systems and social media communication techniques for the purpose of documenting and reporting services delivered to CJT candidate, students, and alumni
· High level of integrity, trustworthiness, work transparency, and open communication
· Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information and maintain accurate records
· Collaborative and cooperative; willingly accepts supervision and direction and translates it into professional operations associated with the position
· Pre-employment background check, COVID-19 vaccine, drug test are required.
· Must be capable of independent local travel (35% regional travel)
· Must be able to attend occasional night and weekend events
· May occasionally move Audio/Visual and other office equipment or lightweight items weighing up to 20 pounds for various meeting and event needs; Some functions of this position may require moderate physical activity, including transporting, positioning, installing, or removing office equipment items, such as printers, computers, phones, and so on
· Will occasionally move about inside the office and commercial kitchen space to access supplies, materials, file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
· Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer; constantly positions self to access and maintain computer equipment; and must be able to remain in a stationery position for at least 50% of the time.
· Must be able to work in an environment where exposure to unusual elements such as extreme temperatures, fumes, dirt, smoke, loud noise, and a variety of odors is common
· This job description is subject to change at any time.
· Medical, vision, and dental insurance (DCCK pays 100% of employee premiums for individual coverage)
· Flexible Spending Accounts
· Paid Time Off (vacation, sick, and personal leave)
· 11 Company Paid Holidays
· Bonding Leave for new parents
· Commuter Benefits plan
· Matching 401(k) program
· Basic Life & Supplemental Life
· Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
· Wellness Reimbursement program
This document is an outline of the primary tasks assigned and may be changed at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing. All team members are expected to assist DC Central Kitchen in achieving its goals even if such tasks are beyond the scope of this outline. The job description does not constitute an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
DC Central Kitchen is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and a Strengths-based organization.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person